Bornstein, excerpts from Gender Outlaw: “Transgender Style” (3-4); “The Hard Part” (7-14); “The First Question” (101-111); “The Other Questions” (113-140)
- Bornstein’s book is subtitled, “On Men, Women, and the Rest of Us.” Who do you think “the rest of us” refers to?
- What do you think Bornstein means when she says, “the choice between two of something is not a choice at all”?
- How is gender “like a cult,” according to Bornstein?
- What is “camp” and what function does it serve?
Smith, “How I Became a Queer Heterosexual”
- What do you think Smith means when he says, “Perhaps in a restrictive society there are many who would not claim queerness but have many queer aspects in their practices”?
- How do you think a person (such as Smith) can identify as both “queer” and “heterosexual”?