Ron Becker, “Guy Love: A Queer Straight Masculinity for a Post-Closet Era?” (121-140)
- How has the heightened visibility of gay identities “made it possible to envision alternative ways to think about straight masculinity”?
- What does it mean to say that gay has become a “cultural identity” in addition to (or instead of) a sexual identity?
- Do you think we live in a “post-closet culture”?
Halberstam, “What’s That Smell? Queer Temporalities and Subcultural Lives” from Queer Youth Cultures
Halberstam, “An Introduction to Female Masculinity: Masculinity without Men” from Female Masculinity (1-43)
- Why do you think Halberstam uses “the bathroom problem” as a case study for the social issues faced by gender-variant individuals?
- How does the elasticity of the categories “men” and “women” help to sustain a binary notion of gender, according to Halberstam?