Gross, “A Niche of Our Own” from Up From Invisibility (233-251)
- Why do you think minorities might welcome advertising that targets them specifically?
- What are some of the reasons why brands might want to target minority consumers?
Sender, “Selling America’s Most Affluent Minority” from Business Not Politics
Clark, “Commodity Lesbianism” (181-201)
- How does “gay window dressing” function in advertisements?
- Why are political styles easily appropriated by commercial interests, and what are the consequences of this for sexual minorities, according to Clark?
Hennessey, “Queer Visibility in Commodity Culture” (31-76)
- What are some of the downsides of queer visibility, according to Hennessey?
- How do consumption practices fit with the idea of identities being constructed and performed, rather than innate?